There are some API things that are better in 1.6, and not compatible with the
1.5 API, but they all seem to have some sort of work around. For some of those
things we'll get better performance and maybe better flexibility (and maybe
less code to maintain) if we use the 1.6 API.

IMO the biggest reason to require 1.6 is that some of the libraries we use are
starting to require 1.6 for their newer versions, and chances are that will
happen more over time. In other words, sooner or later we'll want to update
something and they won't offer a 1.5 compatible alternative any more.

-David