On Dec 6, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:

> Hi David:
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Unlike Tim I do not commit code to the project.

And how does that justify your tone?

> That doesn't mean I don't spend as much time and energy working towards the
> success of OFBiz as Tim does. I always look at the project from a potential
> new user's point of view. A perspective that seems to get very little air
> time here, or anywhere for that matter.

That's simply not true. If you want to participate and contribute from an
end-user perspective there are plenty of options. Feedback is always needed and
welcome, as long as it is specific enough to act on (otherwise it is 100%
useless), and even if people are rude in giving feedback it is still often
acted on.

You can also participate in requirements gathering and design efforts,
including the UBPL and other efforts here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBREQDES/Home

In general, there is nothing stopping you, but also don't expect someone to
come along and pay you or in any way act like a boss or manager in order to get
you to do things.

> Issues like this one, while really minor to an experienced person like Tim
> (and, me) would deter even the bravest of new users.
>
> This couldn't possibly be good for the project. And that bothers me.

No software is perfect, don't be so bothered by it. Even my favorite operating
system (OS X) is a total failure in some scenarios. For example, I was doing a
copy of a big file to an external drive and some random error came up in the
middle... and now the copy process won't stop, and I can't unmount the disk, or
even force unmount the disk... so now how do I proceed without risking killing
the disk? And yes, it is possible to do on OS X, even with the fancy journaling
file system. I experienced this recently where the screen shows that the disk
is unmounted, but it isn't really done and if you disconnect it before it is
done it can (and to me did) hork the entire disk to the point where the Disk
Utility that is part of the OS couldn't repair it.

How much harm does this do? It would take a level of omniscience that I'm not
even close to in order to know, so I don't worry about it. I don't expect the
project to be perfect, but fortunately in many ways the competition makes it
easy to survive, even with no funding and no central management.

This quote is a little harsh, but I like it anyway: "Expectations are the
fruits of ignorance and the seeds of disappointment."

-David