David E Jones wrote:
To sum up:

1. you want a full separation of concerns for the different roles in your
organization, something that won't require additional training beyond their
existing skill set

2. you want no dependencies between different roles so they can't mess each
other up or slow each other down

3. Apache Wicket will provide these things

Does that sound about right?

This sounds amazing! I can't wait to the see the results of an analysis and
comparison for each requirement, and a proof of concept and per-activity
comparison between the different approaches.
Just a touch Snarky there, Mr. Jones. :-)

Vasanth, I have spent some time examining Wicket and its not clear to me that it is able to remove the problems in all but the most simple cases. HTML for complicated multi-state widgets would still need to be divided into many fragments, which are hard for the HTML designer to understand. It would also still not be very clear to the designer where those fragments need to be delineated because they do not understand the control flow.

The deep set problem is that there will be many cases where you want to look at a completed HTML assembly in its populated state to see how the layout looks. That can only be done by editing on a live ofbiz environment and that is always going to be pushing the skills of a GUI designer. What using Wicket does achieve, however, is the elimination of a high level widget system. While we are not really taking advantage of it it is possible to have the OFBiz widgets present themselves in a Swing, SWT or GWT form without rebuilding the entire GUI from scratch. That's a pretty big strike against the Wicket approach. Wicket is also pretty tightly bound to Java the language, which may or may not be the most productive thing to use depending on your point of view (ie. PHP programmers are plentiful and cheap).

In some problem domains like the shopping front-end we may need to accept that the customer use-cases are simply to variable to make the widget strategy add value. That's why, here at Brainfood, we've rebuilt the e-commerce front end on our own templating system. Wicket might also be a worthwhile strategy for that front end rebuild. I imagine that most of your HTML workload revolves around that component. If you really believe in it, I encourage you to build a Wicket version of the ecommerce component. I would be happy to review it and compare its benefits with our effort.