Unfortunately, one of the problem I had was that, to collapse
horizzontally, is not so simple because adiacent divs should be also
adjusted.
For example, to use this to collapse the left-column, even the
main-content div width (or margin-left) should be changed.
This was one of the reason I stopped this way of doing it. :-(

-Bruno