Adrian, what you say reminds me the very first way I thought to
achieve what I described (but I stopped and forgot!! :-( )

I thought that a collapsible screenlet (we already have) could have
another attribute to be collapsed horizzontaly or vertically. One of
the two is what we have right know. In the other one the
screenlet-title bar should be rendered vertically on a side of the
screenlet and could be used to collapse.

The left-column could then be completely wrapped in the screenlet...et voilĂ .
We have also the screenlet collapsed status storing feature in place now!

-Bruno