On 6/01/2010, at 10:50 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

Scott Gray wrote:
On 6/01/2010, at 10:19 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

Additionally, it'd be nice if once a failure is detected, it'd either
do an auto binary disection, to find the commit that actually failed
in the list of covered revisions, or it could just try them all.

For instance, if 891234 is good, and then 892765 fails. 892765 would
get recorded as a state change, putting ofbiz into fail mode.  It
would then try 891562, 891840, 892496, and 892599, reporting that it
tried these other revisions, and noticed the error first occurred at
892496, then ofbiz would stay in fail mode, and the buildbot would
keep quiet until it detects that ofbiz has been fixed.

I have no idea if buildbot is capable of this but you're more than
welcome to investigate it and request changes from infra.

Standard open-source response, kinda expected it.  It'd still be nice
if the request was forwarded on, if it wasn't too much of a hassle.
If it is, I respect that, and I'll just add it to my infinite todo
list squared.

The idea is to ask infra to do no more than is necessary (they're unpaid volunteers), so at the very least we (you) should find out if buildbot is capable of doing what you desire. As below human time isn't free and I'd prefer it if people deal with infra directly if the change is important enough to them.

In general though I think it's usually fairly obvious what the cause of
a problem is based on a quick look at the stdio from the failed build
task. I don't think it's a huge ask for each committer on the blamelist
to take a minute or two to figure out if it's their problem or not.

Computer time is free, human time is not.  Computers are continually
getting faster, while humans get slower.

I don't disagree that knowing exactly what revision caused the failure would be useful, it's just that I don't think it's useful enough for me to spend any time worrying about :-)

Have you had a chance to play with git bisect yet?  It makes me feel
squishy in my happy place.

Not yet, I don't usually bother tracking down an offending commit unless I'm particularly interested in what the hell they were thinking or if I need to discuss the whys and hows.

I'm mostly still using git as I was using svn except for heavy use of stash, branch and reset.