On Feb 8, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> David E Jones wrote:
>> Who is "we"?
>>
> The people who care whether the primary download from the site works
> reliably for new users... I suppose.

I added in the rest of the thread, since even I forgot what exactly we were
talking about.

We're talking about thoroughly vetted/tested official binary releases, right?

AFAIK the size of "we" in this case is zero people. I guess the evidence of
this is that it hasn't been done yet (some of us may care, just not
sufficiently).

The process for doing so would be to do something for testing on a release
branch, and then vote on a certain release branch revision as being ready for
official release, and then we can go through the ASF release and binary
distribution process to get it out there.

To get that started we just need someone, or better yet a few people, to start
working on the vetting part, probably for the release09.04 branch. Once that
group reports that it is ready for prime time, then we can do a vote (giving
people enough time to do some of there own testing, etc), and on we go!