On Mar 7, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2010, at 8:08 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> On Mar 7, 2010, at 6:51 AM, Tim Ruppert wrote:
>>
>>> It IS news when there is a new tutorial out there.  It is not news when you
>>> are doing marketing.  That sounds like a reasonable place to draw the line.
>>>  For instance, I don't put my blog messages up there when they're not going
>>> to directly help users - just like Wikipedia, only the facts.  We haven't
>>> put up one message about any of our twitter feeds, social networking
>>> angles, new websites, all promotion stuff.  What Hans put in there is
>>> straight up promotion.
>>
>> What does that have to do with news? This is the most strange definition of
>> news that I've ever heard...
>>
>> Maybe this would be helpful:
>>
>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/news
>>
>> -David
>>

> That's true but some time ago we decided to merge the "blogs" section with
> the "in the news" section... in fact at that time we could have changed it to
> "news" or similar... but if we don't like what is happening now we can change
> the decision and remove the links that you don't like.

That's not quite what I meant. IMO we can do (for the most part) whatever we
want on the home page, and by we I mean the community acting together
(moderated by the PMC).

What I have a problem with here is the attempt by Tim to justify one behavior
and condemn the behavior of others by coming up with some weird definition of
the word "news", and saying we should draw the line where it benefits him and
causes problems for others. If we're going to discuss this, let's talk plainly
about what our goals our and see where they conflict, not try to justify and
condemn based on BS semantics and "right fighting".