On Mar 11, 2010, at 12:12 AM, Scott Gray wrote:

> On 10/03/2010, at 11:33 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:
>
>> ----- "Scott Gray" wrote:
>>> I'm not sure about Google Maps but gmail doesn't use GWT.
>>
>> That's weird. If you google "gwt" the summary record in the google results
>> says " Java software development framework that makes writing AJAX
>> applications like Google Maps and Gmail easy for developers". Looking
>> further, however, I see several other people saying definitively that Gmail
>> is not GWT. The GWT page says some definitive things about what *is* written
>> in GWT (Wave, AdWords) but not so much about what is *not*. Google should do
>> something about that nasty disinformation.
>>
>> I also have genuinely used and experienced the portability of GWT and it is
>> quite real. I know I also saw an interview with the Rasmussen Brothers where
>> they went off about how much porting effort GWT saved them on Google Wave
>> and they were the guys who wrote Google Maps. I'm now curious to read a
>> straight answer on where Google is actually using it.
>
> Just to clarify I don't know anywhere near enough about GWT to make a
> comment, except to say that when I had to do some work on opentaps it took
> forever to compile and I regularly got the "A script in this page is taking a
> long time to load, would you like to abort?" warning from the browser.  I
> didn't actually deal with any GWT code.

This is an interesting perspective. Is it possible that this is caused by the
way opentaps uses GWT and that using it in better ways might produce a better
developer and user experience (like precompiled parameterized widgets, so that
there is a single set of GWT classes shared by all screens/forms/etc)?

> As always there are a million great libraries but until some analysis is done
> we'll never find the one that might remove the UI framework burden from
> OFBiz.  For example, I think Apache Cocoon has some interesting ideas but I
> wouldn't start a thread about it until I could justify why it might be a good
> fit for what OFBiz needs (not criticizing anyone who does that, it's just
> seems to never come to anything).

You're gonna love the set of threads I just started! ;) I've been thinking
about doing these for a while now and decided to just go for it and see what
happens...