On 10/03/2010, at 11:33 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> ----- "Scott Gray" wrote:
>> I'm not sure about Google Maps but gmail doesn't use GWT.
>
> That's weird. If you google "gwt" the summary record in the google results
> says " Java software development framework that makes writing AJAX
> applications like Google Maps and Gmail easy for developers". Looking
> further, however, I see several other people saying definitively that Gmail
> is not GWT. The GWT page says some definitive things about what *is* written
> in GWT (Wave, AdWords) but not so much about what is *not*. Google should do
> something about that nasty disinformation.
>
> I also have genuinely used and experienced the portability of GWT and it is
> quite real. I know I also saw an interview with the Rasmussen Brothers where
> they went off about how much porting effort GWT saved them on Google Wave and
> they were the guys who wrote Google Maps. I'm now curious to read a straight
> answer on where Google is actually using it.

Just to clarify I don't know anywhere near enough about GWT to make a comment,
except to say that when I had to do some work on opentaps it took forever to
compile and I regularly got the "A script in this page is taking a long time to
load, would you like to abort?" warning from the browser.  I didn't actually
deal with any GWT code.

As always there are a million great libraries but until some analysis is done
we'll never find the one that might remove the UI framework burden from OFBiz.
For example, I think Apache Cocoon has some interesting ideas but I wouldn't
start a thread about it until I could justify why it might be a good fit for
what OFBiz needs (not criticizing anyone who does that, it's just seems to
never come to anything).

Regards
Scott