We seem to be at an impasse here as we can't even agree on what is "news".

IMHO, the more "news" (where "news" is anything new including new promotional material) on the front page the better. It doesn't really matter what is in the news, it's the fact that there is activity that is important. I realize it is work for someone to post the links on the web page, so maybe the restriction is only that there will be but one post per person per week. Who might a "person" be? How about anyone with a Wiki login account? So, anyone who cares enough to get a Wiki login can have the privilege of posting (or rather submitting an item to be posted) as often as they like, but only one post will be considered per week, per login.

That way, no one needs to determine what is "news" and what is not "news". Let the reader decide if an item is really "news". Readers are smarter than you seem to give them credit for. They see the same things posted over and over again and they know what to do with that kind of "news".

Just a suggestion.

Regards,
Ruth
Find me on the web at http://www.myofbiz.com or Google keyword "myofbiz"
ruth.hoff...@myofbiz.com

David E Jones wrote:
BTW, maybe it wasn't clear in my other messages but I am against these
guidelines. For a reason why take a look at which news items would have been
left in and which would have been removed.

IMO if it's going to be a news section, it should only be news, and all
promotional material should go somewhere else.

That's the direction we've started heading in, and I hope it will continue. The
reason I think that is not because I'm against having these things on the home
page, but it seems like if we don't draw a draconian line then every exception
to that draconian line will likely favor one group or another and we can't seem
to handle that as a community right now.

-David