I have a friend who's favorite business saying is "start out where you want to
end up". It is sort of a nonsense phrase but it says something similar to "a
stitch in time saves none". If we are clear about what we are trying to build
it will be much easier to put those fixes in now than to try to change course
down the road.

In my mind, we are trying to do something revolutionary which is to bring the
power of ERP down to the small to medium size business player. Its
revolutionary because, if successful, it has the potential to change the
dynamics of business and the structure of the world economy. If we are going to
succeed in that task we are really forced to confront the reality of what those
business owners need. That means providing business continuity even in the face
of small budgets and a minimal IT staff. If we can make the "myth" of easy
upgrades a reality then our software it going to be much more widely adopted.

I'm not trying to brush the complexity of this under the rug. I agree with you
whole-heartedly that seamless upgrade-in-place is probably a real pain for us
to achieve. At the same time, it also has the possibility to reduce our overall
workload. Adam and I personally have to oversee upgrading customer
installations on a regular basis and those upgrades are typically time
consuming and a little bit scary. If this problem was reduced to literally
pushing a button it would free up time that could be spent on more productive
tasks that actually improve the customer's business.

My $0.02.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
e...@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315