On Apr 3, 2010, at 6:59 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> I have a friend who's favorite business saying is "start out where you want
> to end up". It is sort of a nonsense phrase but it says something similar to
> "a stitch in time saves none". If we are clear about what we are trying to
> build it will be much easier to put those fixes in now than to try to change
> course down the road.
>
> In my mind, we are trying to do something revolutionary which is to bring the
> power of ERP down to the small to medium size business player. Its
> revolutionary because, if successful, it has the potential to change the
> dynamics of business and the structure of the world economy. If we are going
> to succeed in that task we are really forced to confront the reality of what
> those business owners need. That means providing business continuity even in
> the face of small budgets and a minimal IT staff.

Agreed. But the main point that is often ignored is that we are doing this
revolution with *minimal* resources: a limited group of active committers and a
small group of service providers.
The only way we can win is to understand our limits and be clever and study new
(unconventional) ways of achieving our goals.
This was done in the past of OFBiz, mostly thanks to David's vision (developer
friendly community, push to use the trunk to maximize feedback and
contributions etc...).

> If we can make the "myth" of easy upgrades a reality then our software it
> going to be much more widely adopted.
>
> I'm not trying to brush the complexity of this under the rug. I agree with
> you whole-heartedly that seamless upgrade-in-place is probably a real pain
> for us to achieve. At the same time, it also has the possibility to reduce
> our overall workload.
> Adam and I personally have to oversee upgrading customer installations on a
> regular basis and those upgrades are typically time consuming and a little
> bit scary. If this problem was reduced to literally pushing a button it would
> free up time that could be spent on more productive tasks that actually
> improve the customer's business.

I understand your pain, but this is not a good enough motivation for moving the
burden of backward compatibility on the community shoulders; I know that this
is not what you meant but the true reality is that the issues you have faced
with upgrades were not even strong enough to induce you or Adam (that are in
the restricted group of the most generous contributors) to contribute back
upgrade scripts etc... so I don't expect they will be a strong motivation for
others. Enforcing a rule is not enough. We have to find better ways of inducing
the community to help with backward compatibility.
And one way is the one I have suggested: invite companies or service providers
that are in the process of upgrading an OFBiz instance to discuss the process
in the list and to cotribute back their experiences, scripts etc... others will
benefit from this and may also help. This is very different from expecting the
"upgrade button" to ba made available by committers. This is more in line with
the effort of building a community of people interested in upgrades and willing
to help, contribute and participate.

Jacopo