This is an interesting comment. What we can d to improve this?
Here is a suggestion: from now on each and every commit to trunk will have to
contain the reference to a (short) story that describes the context (i.e.
generic business process) that the commit is enhancing.
This doesn't mean that there will be a story for each commit since several
commits will share the same story; over time we will create a good set of
stories and it will be easier, when a new story is added, to verify if it
represents an alternative/redundant feature etc...
At the beginning there will be some overhead on the shoulders of committers,
but if we are good at keeping the stories consistent this would also help the
participation to non-tech guys.
The stories could stay in Confluence or (maybe better) in Jira (easier to
associate commits to Jira tasks).

Jacopo