Adrian Crum wrote:
> --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Adrian Crum <adri...@hlmksw.com> wrote:
>> On 6/16/2010 3:53 PM, Adam Heath
>> wrote:
>> me like the process is broken, not the data. Why not
>> zone along with a file name when
>> importing/exporting?
>> have multiple timezones in the data.
>> actually part of the data. They are only
>> adjusting the raw time by some offset amount.
>> parsing the XML date-time string into a
>> converting a Timestamp to XML.
>> correct; the timezone is in the output.
>> sometimes correct, but only if there is an

>> actual parsed time(seconds since epoch +
>> depending on the timezone the parsing took

>> xml, with no timezones, an xml dump, then a
>> sets. Ignoring any stamp date files, and
>> rows, the files will not have the same values.
>> parser/dumper is broken. Timestamps should not be
>> instead any time is GMT/UTC(offset 0).
>> problem, but now you've made life hard on
>> create my own seed data, I have to convert all
>> before entering it.
>> value. I'm talking about values that
>> setting at all. If it has no timezone,
>> whatever the local machine is set to.
>> picturing a time-zone attribute in the entity

>> entity-engine-xml.
>> attribute in entity-engine-xml
>> preserve backward compatibility).
>> then you can do that in the

>> existing code.
>> data, I would still end up
>> ofbiz ships by default,
>> being referenced to
>>> Because it's a bug.  The data is not specified
>> fully.  An import/dump
>>> cycyle will not have the same values(the dumped file
>> has timezone
>>> information in it).  An import of seed, change
>> timezone(or copy the
>>> dataset to a different machine in a different
>> timezone), and import of
>>>    seed again(possibly after some minor
>> seed upgrade) causes duplicate
>>> entries.  Namely, PartyContactMech will have 2
>> values, because the
>>> hour was off.
>>>
>>> It's a bug, it should be fixed.
>> 1. Import existing seed data. Date-time values are
>> referenced to
>> server's time zone.
>> 2. Export data, specifying date-time data is referenced to
>> GMT.
>> 3. Import data on a server located in another time zone,
>> specify
>> date-time data is referenced to GMT.
>>
>> The date-time data should be the same in both servers.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by fixing the seed data. If you
>> mean
>> specifying time zones in the seed data, then that will
>> cause all kinds
>> of problems. One simple example I can think of is the Staff
>> Meeting
>> recurring event in Work Effort. It is set for Monday at 10
>> AM - that is
>> clear in the seed data and in the documentation that
>> references it. If a
>> GMT time zone is specified in the seed data file, then any
> [...]

True, but lets expand on that.

Let's say you have a time period definition, start work at 9am Monday
morning, and stop work at 5pm Monday afternoon.  Let's say such a
definition is entered into seed xml somewhere.  And lets then say that
the 9am/5pm time frame is for an EST(United States Eastern).

What happens when the server maintaining such a time period is hosted
in California?

If the above time period is encoded as timestamps, then the system is
broken as designed.

If, however, the time period is encoded as meta-data, then there is no
problem.

So, any timestamps that are used to encoded such extremely local
specific time periods, needs to be fixed to *not* use timestamps.

Another way of looking at the original problem, is that all time is
the same.  5pm EST is the same as 4pm CST.  But with the way the
current seed data is configured, the value will be different depending
on a when/where you import it.

The seed data also has problems when dealing with daylight savings
time.  Some timezones have such a feature, and then there are local
rules that specify when dst actually happens.  This was due to not
forcing a timezone during import, and not forcing a timezone when testing.