On 11/07/2010, at 8:29 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Some initial thoughts on the Jackrabbit integration...
>
> 1. Content Repository deployment model:
>
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/deployment-models.html
>
> I like the third model. OFBiz can treat the content repository the same way
> it treats datasources - if a content repository already exists then connect
> to it, otherwise start up an embedded content repository (Jackrabbit) and
> connect to it.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking into it yet but I agree this would be the
most ideal approach.  I have read however that Jackrabbit's RMI performance is
pretty poor (although improved in 2.0+), the other option is connecting via
WebDAV which I think limits what features are available in some respects.  None
of that really concerns me though because I think the most common approach will
be to run an embedded instance.

> 2. Using the Content Repository (CR) in OFBiz artifacts. We would want to
> retrieve content using existing OFBiz artifacts (screen widgets, Freemarker
> transforms, etc). This should be fairly straightforward - just create OFBiz
> artifacts that talk to the CR.
>
> The question is: Do we rewrite existing content artifacts (like the <content>
> screen widget), or do we create new content artifacts? The former will not be
> backward compatible and the latter would create duplication. Personally, I
> have no preference - I'm just tossing the question out there for further
> discussion.

My preference is to start using the JCR API directly and then build tools as we
need them based on real needs.  Things like the content tag should be pretty
easy to replicate but we need to better understand the node structure of JCR
repositories and how we can support content delivery from those nodes.  For
example with nt:file node types you would typically reference that node but the
actual content is stored as a child node.  So yeah just like the
Content/DataResource model contains a fair amount of processing before the
final output is delivered, I think we'd need to do the same for JCR nodes.

> From my perspective, if we could get a consensus on those two items, then the
> Jackrabbit branch could be brought to a usable state fairly quickly. Then we
> can attach a CMS system to it and see how things go.

I'm a little less interested in third party CMS apps now than my original
thread implied, but yeah for sure we can try it out.  I'm now more interested
in understanding the tools they make available and how we can duplicate those
concepts within OFBiz.

Regards
Scott