From: "Jacques Le Roux" <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
From: "Adrian Crum" <adrian.c...@yahoo.com>
--- On Sun, 1/16/11, Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com> wrote:
From: "Adrian Crum" <adrian.c...@yahoo.com>
> --- On Sun, 1/16/11, Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
wrote:
>> BTW, what I'd suggest at this stage is to warn the
user
>> that it will miss a lot of things if javascript is
disabled
>> (even if OFBiz
>> should be still barely usable - not checked, no
>> guarantee...)
>
> So, OFBiz was barely usable before the JavaScript
enhancements were added? ;-)

> -Adrian

You could try with R4.0 without js. I have the feeling that
at this moment there were less js dependent features. For
the calendar it was already true, same for the quick access
in Product main page and the lookups (which were much much
slower when alive), there were no field groups but the
collapsible stuff was working w/out js...

We have a concurrency out there we can't neglict. They also
rely/use js, I will be curious to know if they have
developed clean degradable UIs. Is this really worth it for
a backend, I don't think so... For a front end that's
another story...

Is what really worth it? Like I said, the framework handles JavaScript/no
JavaScript just fine.

Try to use the backen without js, you will see the truth I explained above...

I'm also not sure what you mean by it's not worth it for the backend. Not all OFBiz deployments are centered around eCommerce. Don't be so quick to throw the backend under the bus - some service providers depend on that business.

That's not what I mean. What I mean is for a backend you can advice people to have javascript enabled. Even in the SAAS case, it's not the same audience than eCommerce: you have access to it. I don't mean to neglict graciously degradable UI. But if we want one we have still a lot of work to do, and I'm not quite sure we can afford it, or rather that the community is not preferring other choices since it's always choices...

I'm not pushing for disabled-JavaScript support - I'm just saying as long as it's working there is no need to change it. Just because you're having difficulty solving one issue that may or may not have something to with JavaScript doesn't mean we should change things in a way that forces everyone to use it.

That's not what I meant. BTW I found the reason it was not working (OFBIZ-2413): I tried to pass JavaScriptEnabled=Y on an URL when the session was already opened. You have to pass it at the beginning. This is something which is not clear if you don't digg into this specific login code. And I think we should rather rely on a cookie test like the one I suggested. It sounds logical to me, would you not agree about that? I find cumbersome to have to pass this parameter when opening a session!

Also, with last Hans's change on Catalog main page, if you disable javascript you don't have access to Catalogs/Categories tree. It's typically a case were we could degrade gracefully (just have to use the old way), but anyway who's care :/