On May 4, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> From: "David E Jones" <d...@me.com>
>> Jacques,
>>
>> Why do you recommend requesting changes in comments?
>
> http://markmail.org/message/iadu3l57gkb22lkf :p

Yeah, that was nearly 5 years ago. I would hope we could make progress in that
time, especially for this sort of low frequency thing that is easily lost.

>> There is no way to track them there, and a good chance fewer people (or no
>> one) will notice them.
>
> You may use Confluence for that see
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewnotifications.action

Yes, but how many committers have Confluence notifications setup, and how many
want them?

>> We also have a license granting issue which is better through Jira, though
>> technically not required (ie for legal something over a
>> mailing list, and perhaps in a comment, is okay but Jira has an explicit
>> contribution thingy).
>>
>> I'm not sure what you meant by what you wrote here, but it is very different
>> from what I wrote and it sounded like you were saying
>> it was the same as what I wrote.
>>
>> Paul: I apologize for the confusion, quite frankly there aren't many
>> contributions for the restricted spaces in Confluence, and as
>> you can see there is not a consensus or even a meeting of the minds about
>> how to handle it. I'd still recommend a Jira issue if
>> you want to make sure your changes get tracked and don't slip through the
>> cracks. Email and comments get lost a lot easier, and
>> don't get seen by as many committers (especially if sent directly to a
>> couple of people instead of to the mailing list). Comments
>> are the same way, I don't know how many (if any) committers have
>> notifications setup for all comments, I certainly don't.
>
> I have :o) And I follow it closely from the moment you gave me the rights for
> that (some years ago). Actually I act as a sort of
> Confluence moderator, and I do it seriously. Conflucen comments advantage:
> Confluence formatting, a simple C/P and voilĂ . Still the
> delegate and KISS way: as you said  license granting is not required .

If it works, fine. If I were contributing something to Confluence I would use a
Jira issue to do it and keep track of it, and that's what I was trying to
communicate to Paul. Otherwise I, as a contributor, would have to monitor and
keep track of it instead of having a system to help with that.

Just an FYI: Jira comments also support Confluence style formatting.

-David

>> On May 4, 2011, at 1:16 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>>> Though it has already been explained recently but shortly by David (I think
>>> it's explained in the wiki somewhere also), the
>>> established practise for Confluence (we call Wiki the open pages) is to
>>> suggest your changes in a comment at bottom of the page
>>> change. You can even use Confluence formatting there. It's not more work