On Mar 15, 2012, at 1:40 AM, Anne wrote:

> I go away for a few days, and you drop the DSL idea and replace it with an
> old-fashioned language-agnostic helper class.

:-)

Anne, I must admit that I had the same reaction at the beginning, but in a
community you have to blend your plans/ideas with the ones from others if they
have strong opinions on them. I also accepted to see my work being re-routed
when I realized we could still implement Groovy services and events in a very
nice way: if you review the "new" version of my services/events, apart from the
ugly "ofbiz." prefix, all the important things are exactly the same.
So for now we can use this work assuming we have at disposal a nice language:
Groovy powered by an OFBiz DSL
I have the following short term plans:
* we will expand the DSL (i.e. the helper class) a little bit in order to
provide a couple more frequently used operations
* I will keep a close eye at the way the "helper" class evolves in order to
avoid the risk of seeing it become another ugly complex api
* at some point we may decide to wrap it into a Groovy friendly class to enable
full DSL
* we have also some plans to implement a Groovy builder for complex dynamic
view entities or entity queries: this would complete the DSL for Groovy (if
possible we will implement it in a Java friendly way, but if not it will be a
Groovy only thing)
Then the "OFBiz applications" will have a great language to migrate to (if the
community will see the benefit of migrating the existing "application" code
from Java and Minilang to the new Groovy) or simply to use it for new
development.