Agreed. One thing that immediately jumps out is how much of their codebase is
in Javascript. That may imply at least two functional teams right there. It
makes me wonder if they are approach things as more of a REST/HTTP-RPC server
written in Python that services a client written in JavaScript. I have been
approaching most of my recent development efforts this way and I have to say
that it allows you to create interfaces that are far more compelling. This
"shiny object" phenomena may explain some of their popularity.

One thing waiting in the wings for Java are the new Nashorn JavaScript
capabilities coming in JDK8. It may be worth considering a more aggressive
adoption of JavaScript, especially in the widget code. If we begin to write
things like form verification in JavaScript we could share code between the
client and server and do things like giving the client immediate feedback when
entering form data.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
e...@brainfood.com