That seems pretty harmless. Anyone wanting to use specialpurpose can just add it to their local copy.

-Adrian

On 3/22/2013 4:19 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
Hi all,

the next month is the month of the creation of our annual branch release:
release13.04.
In preparation for this, I would like to propose to exclude from the upcoming
new branch the specialpurpose folder and some of the themes components: this is
inline with what we have discussed recently for the trunk (and there seemed to
be a good consensus/interest about this), i.e. separating the specialpurpose
folders into an optional module that is not built and deployed by default: for
the trunk this requires some work to make the build scripts more flexible, but
for the branch it is much simpler (we can simply remove the folders from the
branch).
This will help a lot to avoid the risk to receive vulnerability reports for the
future releases, that require a good amount of work for us; in fact there are a
lot of external jars in specialpurpose and if we deliver them in our releases
we should also take care of making sure that, if the external projects issue
new releases with fixes for vulnerabilities then we should also issue a new
release as well: maintaining this is time consuming and also reviewing all the
code to make sure it meets good standard of quality and it is clear from
license issues when a release is issued is becoming an overwhelming effort. If
we deliver in releases a smaller codebase, everything will be easier and more
manageable.
Of course we can still decide to issue a release of "specialpurpose" components
separately.

WDYT?