How a DB manufacturer persists a date field is irrelevant. The issue here is how Java handles the date type in the JDBC driver and supporting code.

I repeat:

I can reproduce the problem using a time zone with ZERO OFFSET, so this is not a problem caused by applying a time zone to a date. More likely, it is a problem with the WRONG time zone being applied to a date.

-Adrian

Quoting gareth_car...@stannah.co.uk:

Piere - SQL dates are stored without timezone information and dates are
returned exactly the same with different default database timezones -
unless you specifically convert the date field to a different timezone in
SQL

Such as

Default timezone on our database
set timezone to 'GB';
select birth_date, timezone('Canada/Atlantic', birth_date) from person
where birth_date is not null limit 100;

Swap to see change in second column but birth_date is unaffected by the
timezone in db
set timezone to 'Canada/Atlantic';
select birth_date, timezone('GB', birth_date) from person where birth_date
is not null limit 100;

In my opinion, this convention should be followed in ofbiz, you cannot
correctly apply a timezone to a date only field without knowing the time!

Adrian - We have had this issue for over a Year now and had a brief
discussion with Hans about this a while back.  My opinion it is the
timezone being applied to java.sql.Date incorrectly that is at fault.
Freemarker also has the same issue

Gareth Carter
Software Development Analyst
Stannah Management Services Ltd