> The passport component is an optional. So is the e-commerce component and
> almost everything else is.

Not sure about this.

Where apps should be placed is matter of viewpoint. And we have viewpoints
> aplenty. Some regard e-commerce to be a core (framework + application
> stack) extension

Should it be a matter of viewpoint? Clearly, there must be a standard
approach.  Ofbiz is an ERP system first and foremost and as such should
have the typical ERP functionalities as applications (as it does now).
*Application Stack*: Accounting, Manufacturing and or Distribution, CRM, HR
and Payroll, Inventory, Marketing and Sales etc. should be under the
application stack as a minimum.  These aren't optional.
*Technology Stack*: Technologies without which these cannot be implemented
go under the Framework/Technology stack.
*Special Purpose*: Project Management, e-Commerce, Hospitality, Brewing?
IMHO special purpose should not be used for third party
technologies/integration.
*Tools/Plugins*: BIRT, DotNet, eBay, OAuth2, Lucene, Solr etc.

Regards

Gavin