Le 21/04/2015 10:19, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
Hi Jacques and all,

I think that sharing more than anything is a reason why git has an
advantage. The distributed system means that every developer is a
repository and therefore you can have endless chains of code propagation up
to a committer. Just imagine a scenario like the following

- A team is composed of people working on a major task
- Two of the members (A and B) have their own sub-teams
- There is exchange of code between the sub-teams, the major team and the
project committer. Furthermore, the sub-teams need to pull updated data
from the main repository of the project.

So you have two integrators at the sub-team level and one integrator at the
top team level plus a project committer. Sometimes, I want to pull code
from the sub-team. Sometimes I want to pull code from the _other_ team.
Then maybe I want to _merge_ work from both teams and run all tests. Then I
want to clean the commit log with "git rebase" to cleanup the history into
major commits to submit to the project committer. Now the project owner
does not know / trust me but he knows / trusts you. And you in turn trust
me so you can accept my commits.

I cannot imagine how to implement the above without a distributed source
code management system. Furthermore, it's important to note that ofbiz is
not a closed proprietary project with a sacred repository hidden in the
vault of some company. You _need_ contributions from others and you need to
make it very easy and accessible. You need to have the ability for people
to form teams and sub-teams to support you and your project by
collaborating with each other without needing a committer. This is one of
the main reasons for the massive success of the Linux Kernel where each of
Linus Torvald's lieutenants is a committer for a sub-system with his/her
own people they trust and work closely with. Some of this stuff is briefly
shown in here http://www.git-scm.com/about/distributed

I hope what I wrote is resonating with you and you're willing to give this
idea a chance

OK, you kind of answered to my questions to Adam, I need to re-read carefully...

Jacques

Taher Alkhateeb

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Jacques Le Roux <