Hi Julien,

thank you for bringing this up!

I don't think that this is of no interest in the community, it's just overlaid by the many other topics we are discussing currently. I personally think that all topics are worth to be discussed and elaborated, maybe they have to be prioritised a little bit more. Right now it's a little bit confusing and not easy to follow (and contribute to) the discussions besides daily business.

I think it is an important topic to simplify the backend component's UI and have more sophisticated usability there. On the other hand, it is important to somehow show customers the powers of OFBiz and the many already set-up functionalities. It would be a big step forward if we find a way to make this customizeable. For an ERP, it would also be a big plus to have some kind of "business templates" (!= UI templates) on top of such a mechanism, like

- Your customer sells products over the internet? - pull the ecommerce template
- Your customer brews beer? - pull the manufacturing +x template
- Your customer has a small business? - pull the corresponding template
etc.

I belive that would require different configuration mechanisms, more on a database level with a clever UI instead of many different property files. And maybe a tool to chain services together on base of such a template.

I won't reduce the functionality in OFBiz per se, as long as they are stable and/or have a maintainer.

I know of at least one contributor who is also working on a more sophisticated UI, maybe he shows up here also ;-)

So, without having a concrete plan or more thought-out ideas how to implement this, I would support such an effort.

As a community, I think we have to find a way to channel the different interests from core technology work up to the business layer. Some kind of overall project management would help but would be difficult to install in an open community. Too many open building sites in parallel are not that efficient.

Curious what others think...

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH