Here is a summary of the current Visual Theme implementation (so we are all on the same page):

I introduced a feature in the bootstrap branch (then ported to trunk) that allows a visual theme to specify its own templates for rendering. This allows a theme to generate any HTML flavor it requires.

In the trunk I introduced a visitor pattern to the screen widgets - which opens things up even more. (In my local copy, I have a rendering engine based on visitors that is incomplete - I hope to commit it someday.)

There is a flaw in the current implementation that needs to be fixed: the hard-coded JS libraries and other files in the Global Decorator. That block of code should be converted to visual theme resources - so no specific libraries are referenced in the Global Decorator.

The visual theme feature allows a graphics designer to specify JS libraries, CSS libraries, and rendering templates - in effect decoupling visual themes from the framework's rendering engine. As far as I can tell, there is nothing preventing a graphics designer from creating any UI they want using any tool they want.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com