Hi,

I wondered at "Upgrade Tomcat to 8.5.3 (or 8.0.36)" - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7348 if we should continue or not to put the externals libs we use but will no longer deliver with our source releases.

Just a bit of explanation about "source releases". There are 2 sorts of release: source or binary. Source releases are mandatory, when binary (which include external libs) are just released as convenient for users.

So I had a look at 2 things

1. The Rat report on Buildbot
https://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/rat-output.html (big stuff) Obviously Rat
is aware we use archives (as it call
   jars), no surprises because this is done after Gradle download them to build
OFBiz
2. How other projects handle it. There is much diversity. Roughly:
   Maven documented in binary release
   Geronimo documented in binary release
   Jackrabbit nothing in source release sur slf4j (SLF4J.ORG)  used in
S3Backend class ()
   Ant nothing in binary release
   Tomcat nothing on ecj jar (Eclipse.org)  even in binary release
   JMeter nothing on slf4j class (SLF4J.ORG)  even in binary release

From that it seems to me it's better to ask on legal discuss ML. What do you
think?

If we agree about doing so, I'd though appreciate if other persons could do
their own researches to confirm my finding, thanks!