Great job Sharan, and thank you for pulling this through and not giving up
:)

My recommendations to make this website an easier, more managable task is
as follows:

- Replace PHP templates with freemarker. I remember creating them quickly
just to get something rolling for the header/footer/shared regions
- Introduce a build script .. naturally I would recommend gradle. The build
script would include a few tasks to automate the publication of the
website. For example:
  - generateHtml: from the freemarker templates
  - publishWebsite: to get the final thing on the web server
  - clean: to remove any generated artifacts

I think treating this as a project with a build script using tools everyone
is familiar with is going to help in code contributions.