Poking Dain, hoping he can give some feedback.  Dain was the one who added the
JTA support to DBCP when we needed it.  It was a pretty decent undertaking
then.  I.e. didn't fit terribly well.

Redoing that in the Tomcat connection pooling might be possible.  Anything that
uses the java.util.concurrent libraries is likely way better.

-David