Yes, you are righ - documentation about this topic is very poor.

Now I've made some translation to Russian - you could see translate.js script
which I've commited to the https://github.com/bay73/whiteboard.git.
This is simple dictionary - any language could be added there.

Now I could set locale like this:

<script>
goog.LOCALE = 'ru';
</script>