OFFTOPIC: I don't really like webpack-and-friends, it's output is often
unpredictable and hard to debug.
Additionally I have difficulties to set it up to do what I need
This is why I'm trying to find something that "just works" and produces no
damage :)

Your offtopic sounds more like a rant :)

webpack-and-friends, it's output is often unpredictable and hard to debug.

Additionally I have difficulties to set it up to do what I need

=> Actually I mostly used webpack just during development. Not when
productionising. During development you can use webpack to start a task
which enables you to reload the JS+HTML while in a page. E.g. in
OpenMeetings changing the HTML takes around 3minutes, cause you need to
restart the entire server + navigate back to where you were in a browser.
See: https://webpack.js.org/configuration/dev-server/

This greatly improves the development cycle, it cuts it down to seconds
what previously took minutes.

=> Unfortunately it won't be possible to integrate this into OpenMeetings
for now. Because it won't work with Apache Wicket.

It seems like you are putting all of those different tools and technologies
into 1 umbrella/basket. While it's more like each of those has Pro and
Cons. Some might be good for OpenMeetings, others maybe not.

It has nothing to do with breaking things. None of those things should
break the application. Neither frontend nor backend technologies should
break the application or make it unstable. It has nothing to do with that.

Thanks
Sebastian

Sebastian Wagner
Director Arrakeen Solutions, OM-Hosting.com
http://arrakeen-solutions.co.nz/
https://om-hosting.com - Cloud & Server Hosting for HTML5
Video-Conferencing OpenMeetings
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/da4e8828-743d-4968-af6f-49033f10d60a/public_url>