Hi Rob;

----- Messaggio originale -----
> Da: Rob Weir
>
> On Dec 18, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>
>>  Hello;
>>
>>  Just to get the general public to know some of the things there are going
> on in
>>  the AOO code, Andrea and I have been preparing a blog post about the new
>>  random number generator:
>>

> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=random_numbers_in_calc_small
>>

> Nice. Is it worth describing the testing? In particular, do we have
> any tests that show clear improvements?  Anything that can be shown in
> a chart?

The test I did were pretty simple: I only generated a graph with 1000 values and
then regenerated several times a complete row (more that 1 million values) to
see no values were negative or overflowed.

The problem is that in the platforms I use the period of libc's rand() is
already
long enough that a graphic plot of just 500-1000 values wont show any
periodicity.

The algorithm is known to pass some very strict statistical tests though.

Pedro.