----- Messaggio originale -----
> Da: Armin Le Grand
>
>      Hi Pedro,
>
> On 20.12.2012 16:21, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>  Hello;
>>
>>  Looking at Symphony: I like the color palette but it still can be improved.
> If you slide over
>>  the colors you can see names and while some are descriptive, most are not
> (cyan1, cyan 2)
>>
>>  There are certainly color professionals out there that have considered this
> and some colors
>>  are popular enough to have a name:
>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors_(compact)
>
> Good idea. I already thought about having a central place in the office
> with all known named colors (e.g. the Colors in the SVG standard,
> already in svgio module for example). The problem is that there are 24
> million colors (0xff^3). Despite that, there may be serveral names per
> color. Despite that, the names are not translated. Are color names
> translatable...?

Hmm.. there are indeed a lot of named colors: I thought I was looking at
the complete list but it was only A-M.

Yes, color names are translatable but even online translation services
should give acceptable results. Good thing there are international
volunteers that can help :).

>>  I would suggest that we do take initially the Symphony palette but attempt
> to replace most
>>  unnamed colors with something that can be identified by name in either of
> the lists above.
>>  It's a lot of work and I am not volunteering though :(.
>
> I follow that suggestion: For now, let's use the (extended, see
> proposal) Symphony palette, but make a follow-up to find better color names.

Great!

> In the long run supporting multiple palettes (as Rony suggested, too)
> will be unavoidable I think; there are sooo many interesting colors,
> alone following your links and all the slightly different tones of
> white. And all that is only in RGB color space...

Maybe we should start taking color seriously some day and play with
something like CMS ;).

http://www.littlecms.com/

cheers,

Pedro.