On 12/25/2012 04:03, janI wrote:
HI Tj and Helen.

First please bear over with me, it is x-mas morning, and my head is not
fully operational :-)

Let me explain:
we are actually running on the test system, I have a link for production
that I can switch to different directories, and I simply pointed it at test
(which makes it easy to switch back).

Of course I also updated the DB.

@Tj:
I see your problem, that is a security issue I did not see comming :-(

You tested the editor in test, can you confirm that it had no problems ?

@Helen:

This has to do with the UTF8 conversion, I understood from the previous
mails that it worked on wikitest...and I just tested a couple of pages (in
russian), which to be honest I did not understand, but the looked like the
old wiki :-)

I can do the UTF8 conversion, pn text and pages in the live system, but I
have my children visiting, so it will take a couple of days.

If any of you (on anybody else with a serious reason) request that I roll
back I wil do it by restoring the db backup from yesterday and activating
the old code...please advice quickly in order not to loose too many changes.

Have a nice day, and thanks for advicing me.
Jan I.

Hi, Jan, Helen,

*UTF8*: It seems we have some scattered conversion problems in this area. The big question is, how many? The "Unused files" special page is showing strange entries for the first few items, too; the names look like what I'd expect from double conversion.

@Helen: can you give us a better idea of how big the problem is? Cyrillic is "Greek to me" (="unknown"), too. I am assuming that this would be important, for going back or going forward.

*Editor*: Loading the toolbar has always been a two-step process: the first part is initially visible, then the rest of the icons load quickly but visibly later. (I'd love to know more about what's going on here, because I'd love to add an icon to the list: <tt>TEXT HERE</tt>, something I use frequently.) I think (but cannot confirm) that it was working on testwiki. I did do a little editing on testwiki, so I should have noticed the glitch, but maybe I didn't.

*Category for Speedy Deletion*: Jan, you deleted this category. Granted, it was empty at the time, but we sysops chase and delete pages that show up here. This is how non-sysops request page deletion, by adding the template, {{delete|explanation}} to the page. Then a sysop looks at the page and the reason, and acts accordingly: deletes the page or removes the template, and explains why in the summary.

Most of the users who would request such a thing are now sysops, and can do their own deletions, but even there, they might want a second opinion. I suggest that this method is worth keeping. Therefore, I have re-created the category.

/tj/