On Jan 11, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 01/11/2013 03:06 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
>> On 1/10/13 3:56 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Unfortunately, there is no single place in the source code. I also had
>>> not the resources to clean this up during the renaming work - hint,
>>> hint, hint :-)
>>>
>>> Please have a look at issue 121388, the wiki page referenced in one of
>>> the issue's comments and the intrinsic changes I have made.
>>>
>>> The product installation folder is more or less a form of the
>>> $PRODUCTNAME + [major version number]. E.g.:
>>> - Windows: "Apache OpenOffice 3"
>>> - Linux: "apache_openoffice3"
>>> On Linux platforms we have also the basis installation folder. It name
>>> is found in /main/instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst
>>>
>>> The user profile folder is more or less $PRODUCTNAME/[major version
>>> number]/
>>>
>>> The Windows registry keys and values can be found in module main/scp2/
>>>
>>> I hope that helps a little bit.
>>
>> I was thinking about the name and here I mean the name that is used for
>> the folder etc. The name is used in the help, in tools option, in the
>> menu...
>>
>> We changed "OpenOffice.org" to "Apache OpenOffice" so good so far. But
>> would it be nicer to shorten the folder, menu entries, ... to simply
>> OpenOffice
>>
>> Folders
>> Linux: /opt/openoffice4
>> Mac: OpenOffice.app
>> Windows: OpenOffice 4
>>
>> Tools Option
>> OpenOffice
>> OpenOffice Writer
>> OpenOffice ...
>>
>> Help
>> OpenOffice instead of hundreds of "Apache OpenOffice"
>>
>> The idea is that the project and product is called Apache OpenOffice but
>> in practice we would use in the product the short from OpenOffice. The
>> intro, start center, about can of course use images where we use "Apache
>> OpenOffice".
>>
>> Well it's just an idea and I know it would require some further work but
>> now would be the time for it. I believe legally should it be ok today
>> but it have to checked to be safe.
>>
>> What's your opinion?
>
> In general a very good idea: Shorter menu entries, etc. and a higher
> attention of the open source product.
>
> And yes, we should get this clarified from trademarks@.

If it is called Apache OpenOffice software or product on first use on certain
pages then it is permissible to use short forms like OpenOffice in various
places. There is no trouble with that approach. Look at the Apache Hadoop
project's home page - http://hadoop.apache.org/

We should make sure that somewhere we use OpenOffice.org ® for the link to the
website to preserve that trademark in certain jurisdictions.

Regards,
Dave