Hi Rob,

Rob Weir schrieb:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 14.01.2013 20:01, Rob Weir wrote:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html

The idea here is to have a dev-focused introduction page that works
along side the similar pages we have for Marketing and QA.  This is
the first draft.   I already see a few typos, so don't worry about
those.   But I am looking for more content.

What else should we put here?  Any other links?  Any other startup tasks?

There exists different type of "development":
- changing the core
- using AOO in other applications
- adding functionality to AOO via extensions and macros

Your text addresses only "changing the core". That is likely correct, when someone reaches that page following a hierarchical instruction. But nowadays pages are more often found by searching.

So my suggestion is, to make a short page for the other type of development and add at the beginning of your text, the target audience of your page and a reference to the other page.

I don' know, whether an introduction page for the other kind of development already exist. But it should contain hints to:
- a...@openoffice.apache.org
- existence and download of SDK
- http://www.openoffice.org/api/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/module-ix.html
- http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide
- http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide [- http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Using_Cpp_with_the_OOo_SDK, if it will be continued]

I think it makes sense to include the link to the OpenGrok instance from
Adfinis Sygroup [1] which can be also used to "inspect" the source code.

[1] http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/

Thanks!  I made changes, mainly additions, based on your feedback and
earlier comments from Kay and Jan.  Here is the updated version:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html

The section 'Other Useful Resources' should have a link to
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_code_directories
and
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Coding_Standards
and
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/Code_Conventions
However, they seem to need revision and additions. But they are useful for newcomer nevertheless.

A hint to Doxygen for LibreOffice. The tool is helpful and it would be nice to have a similar thing for AOO. If a module has it, you can get it when you click on the module name in http://docs.libreoffice.org/ and then on 'Doxygen'. Try it for example with module 'sd'.

Kind regards
Regina