On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:

>  It wasnt an edition more like a mode, you did $ soffice -net and you can
> have variou users conenected, there was a pertner that even did some Active
> Directory authentication.
> http://openofficetechnology.com/products/OpenOffice-Enterprise

I'm happy this option is being discussed/brought up here. Some older
documentation still references this "-net" option in basically two
different approaches.

The first one is just using a central server install area to install to
many desktops (multi-user installation):

http://www.openoffice.org/docs/setup_guide/mu_install.html

The second bit of information covers what we seem to be discussing here
(network installation, one"runnable" copy, indiviudal user options):

http://www.openoffice.org/installation/proposals/netinstall.html

We've had  few queries about OpenOffice for large installations -- like
1000+ end-users.  A true "network" type approach might be valuable for them.

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I remember Sun -or perhaps it was StarDivision- once sold a StarOffice
> > > "network computing" edition, basically what I think it did was install
> > > a OO.o/SO Server on a LAN, and remote users connected -over VNC or
> > > likewise thin-client protocol- via a Java applet in their browsers, to
> > > the StarOffice app.
> > >
> > > So, has anyone played with such a setup in OpenOffice ? Notice I don´t
> > > want to give remote users access to the full desktop or a remote Linux
> > > desktop session, just the application. In other words, what I mean is
> > > the VNC-ization of the OO app...
> > >

> > rollApp appears to do some form of GUI virtualization, but to an iPad:
> >
> > https://www.rollapp.com/OpenOffice
> >
> > The tablet is the new "thin client", yes?
> >
> > They use DropBox and Google Drive as the file stores for user documents.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > > Ideally, a server could be set up with each app (Calc, Writer,
> > > Impress) on different tcpip ports so users could start with a new
> > > document directly by using a different URL.
> > >
> > > Perhaps this exists already, I´m not sure. The components to do so
> > > clearly are out there... for instance TightVNC (GPL) has a Java applet
> > > viewer with ssh http://www.tightvnc.com/ssh-java-vnc-viewer.php
> > >
> > > I´m surprised no one has made a ready-made fire and forget installer
> > > for this kind of setup.
> > >
> > > Thoughts? comments? -TIA
> > > FC
> > > --
> > > During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a
> > revolutionary act
> > > Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
> > > Acto Revolucionario
> > > - George Orwell
> >

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> Apache OpenOffice Contributor
> http://es.openoffice.org

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                                                         --
Aesop