On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:29 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 05/02/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> You can see our current Bugzilla taxonomy here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/describecomponents.cgi
>> We have around 50 top-level "products" and within that each product
>> has one or more "components". ...
>>
>> Bugzilla has an option that we can enable that would add an additional
>> level to the hierarchy, called "categories".
>

> I wouldn't add a new level of hierarchy to a system that is already quite
> complex. But some of the existing products could become components of the
> existing "obsolete" product (groupware, oopm, wp, user-faq,
> special_projects, kde, printing, testextension, stats...) and the
> description of the core applications could be improved by adding their name:
> for example,
>   ---
> word processor: This is the word processor and HTML editor application.
>   ---
> should include "Writer" somewhere.

If you think we can get down to a small number of top-level products
this way, then this is fine.  But going from 50 to 40 or even 50 to 30
won't really improve things.  We really want something under 10:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two

Note:  what experienced BZ issues feel on this question, and how new
users experience it, will be entirely different.  New users don't have
the taxonomy memorized.  They don't know what they are looking for
exactly.  So scanning a list of 30 items is a problem for them.

So with a new top-level category, I can easily get to 3 or 4 top level
items, and then under applications reduce it to the core set of 5
products.  Can we get anywhere close by combining products/

-Rob