On Mar 1, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> janI wrote:
>> I am (as usual) confused
>
> And, as usual, it is not your fault!
>
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages
>> This page contains among others a list of all languages, and who works on
>> them.
>> I thought this page was replaced by the one rob created sometime ago in
>> cwiki, but at least one user (khirano) cares about the content.
>
> The two pages should be consolidated somehow. But the Mwiki page you edited
> seems cut, it's better to rely on an older version:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Languages&oldid=201812
> for this discussion.
>
>> Now my question, why did we make a cwiki page if this page is still active,
>> and if not how are they interconnected (giving users a chance to find
>> updated information).
>
> The new page was probably created to reflect activity at Apache, and when
> Mwiki was under maintenance. But search engines will inevitably lead people
> to Mwiki, so it makes sense to merge the two, unless Rob had different
> reasons for creating the Cwiki page.
>
> In general, when we ask new volunteers to sign up for a wiki, it should be
> Mwiki if the current orientation is to rely more on Mwiki.

Actually, I'm not very comfortable relying on MWiki. We've already had
two near-death experiences with it yet we're still in the exact same
situation: we're using complicated software with no official support
from Infra and reliance on a single  volunteer sys admin.   This is
asking for trouble. If we really want to rely on something we should
mot be in this situation. We need a plan for increasing the base of
support, either within the project, or by getting Infra to officially
support MWiki.

-Rob