On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> The PMC receives requests, every couple of weeks, from book publishers
> for permission to use OpenOffice screenshots in a book.  Most often
> they are asking to use a specific screenshot from the website that
> they have identified, such as:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/pix/writer-big.png
>
> Generally, Apache permits the use of product screenshots in books, per
> the trademark policy here:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#insidebook
>
> However, that only covers the trademark.  There is another rights
> owner to consider, the author of the document included in the
> screenshot, including any text, graphics, images, etc., displayed.  Of
> course, the book publisher can avoid that issue by making their own
> screenshots.  But that is extra work.  Generally they are trying to
> clear permissions for dozens or hundreds of images.  The more
> difficult we make it, the less likely they are use it.  Since this is
> free publicity for us, we should try to make it easy for them to use.
>
> Another issue is that our posted screenshots are quite old.  They
> don't reflect the new Apache branding.
>
> Here's how we can do better:
>
> 1) Create a set of "demo" documents that showcase the capabilities of
> OpenOffice.  Use either public-domain text (Charles Dickens, for
> examples) or Loren Ipsum, or original text contributed to the project
> under ALv2 by the original authors.   We want documents, for all of
> our applications. that look good, and are clearly under ALv2.
>
> Multilingual text would be ideal, or separate documents for different
> languages.  (We do get requests from book publishers in many
> countries, so having a native-language screenshot is ideal)
>
> 2) Create screenshots for each document, on each platform  Do it with
> AOO 3.4.1 for now.  But plan on repeating with each major new release.
>  Agree on screen resolutions, color depth, and image formats, so we
> have uniformity.
>
> 3) Host the screenshots online, along with text that explains their
> purpose and permissions.
>
> What do we think?  I can help with the webpage and with screen shots
> on Windows.  But I'll need help assembling a set of showcase demo
> files.
>
> Note: aside from book publishers, this will also be useful for
> journalists who want a screenshot for an article.
>
> -Rob

I thought I remembered seeing a screenshot area on the web site once upon a
time, and here it is:

 http://www.openoffice.org/screenshots/

It took me a while to track this down though -- there's a link in the
marketing area which needs to be fixed to get you to this older area.
Originating from:
http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/marketing_where.html

Anyway, these are not standard by any means, but worth taking a look at I
suppose. Also NO mention of specific license which would need to be
included, etc.

So, there is certainly a precedent for these.

yes, we should update this area. Maybe a short blog for this kind of
request?