On 24.05.2013 00:52, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Jörg Schmidt wrote:
reflect together about a better name for "sidebar", maybe we can find
a better name.

Call it "OpenBar" then.

Open like OpenOffice. Bar like in Toolbar. And "Open Bar" like "get everything you want for free". Oh well.

Everything You answer me, that's my suggestion is apparently
uncomfortable.

It isn't. You raised a point that is indeed new. Nobody so far had thought about the naming issue.

That is not quite true. I asked on this list a couple of months ago about how to name things. I did not get many replies, so I chose the names myself an noted them in the glossary of the sidebar wiki page. I did not invent any of the names, I just chose from what was already there (old Impress tool panel, Symphony sidebar).

I personally still prefer the name "sidebar". I believe that ,any users will have intuitively at least a general understanding when they hear that name. This is a semi-established name. From [1] :

    Sidebar (computing)
The *sidebar* is a term that is used for a GUI element <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_of_graphical_user_interfaces> that displays various forms of information to the side of an application or desktop user interface.

Why invent a new name that everybody has to learn. Besides, for practical reasons it would be nice to use the same name for the sidebar on the UI and in the implementation. Not doing this can be quite confusing as I have learned from the old Impress sidebar aka toolpanel aka taskpane. It is way to late to rename the implementation.

I do see the need for good marketing and at the moment the sidebar may appear to be a shiny new thing. I do believe that it is an improvement of usability. But lets be objective, it is something that other applications and even AOO had for a while: look at wordperfect, kword, Impress.

-Andre

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidebar_%28computing%29

But I agree that you have a point here: if it is a unique feature, it makes sense to at least think about a possible cute name for it. You contributed a fresh point of view into the project, and nobody complained about this.

It is very important to the AOO has good technical quality, but if we
believe it is sufficient for success, we are wrong.

Our developers are very reasonable people. Juergen gave pragmatic answers... that were totally to be expected if you come up with this idea on the same day when we finalize the help contents for translation! But for sure our developers do not expect to be worshipped and they are very friendly towards the community at large (remember, they do subscribe to this list and live with it despite the huge amount of non-technical content here). So I don't agree with your opinion that developers cannot see that marketing is important: they do see it, but their day-to-day concern is to produce high-quality software... and give other volunteers awesome software to promote!

Regards,
  Andrea.