What we've done so far:

1) Called for logo submissions from the community

2) Many designers responded and we received 40 submissions.  There was
a lot of "cross-fertilization" of ideas, as designers saw what others
had come up with, what worked, and borrowed ideas.

3) We did a survey of user responses to the 40 logo submissions.  Over
5000 users offered their ratings and written comments.

4) Publish report and blog post on the results of the logo survey.

5) Invited the designers of the top-rated logos to read over the
survey comments and refine their designs and submit an updated
version.

That's where we are now.  The updated logos (three of them) are on the wiki now:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Stage+2+Logo+Refinement

As you can see there is quite a bit of convergence on a design occurring.

So what next?

I'd like to propose some next steps.

A) Let's discuss the three designs on the mailing list for the next
week.   The discussion might lead to further refinement.

B) If at the end of the week there is consensus on a single design
we'll go with that one.

C) If at the end of the week there is not consensus on a single
design, and the discussion is not leading us closer toward consensus,
then we'll have a 72-hour vote of PMC members to pick the logo.

Regards,

-Rob