On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net> wrote:
> Le 28/05/2013 00:55, Dennis E. Hamilton a écrit :
>
>> PS: Interesting that we've come around to a close variant of the current
>> logo.
>

> Well, rather disappointing I would say. So much energy lost for just so few
> changes...

I don't think it was wasted effort if we gained knowledge.

> Perhaps it tells that there was no need to change the logo at all.
>
> Le 28/05/2013 20:39, Donald Whytock a écrit :
>
>> So the flat orb is likely to be the new standard?  Will the round orb then
>> be deliberately retired?
>

> Are we sure about this?
> If there is a last round, will the round orb be part of the candidates?
>
> My feeling is that there are some improvements (dark gray color instead of
> black). But switching to a flat logo would be quite a step backward. The orb
> is the only modern aspect in the whole AOO visual identity.

Reading the comments from the survey I get exactly the opposite
impression, that the flat logo is seen as more modern, clean and
attractive than the 3D ray-traced style.  I mean comments like these
for logo #34 (Chris's one):

"Very calm and cool logo, without any overwhelming design. Perfect for
the target market."
"Simple and clean"
"Simple but attractive."
"Clean and modern."
"Still fits well, like a leather jacket."
"Good follow on to the present"
"Nice! simple and printable"
"Excellent !!  Simple.  Colors are muted.  Natural evolution from
current 3.0 logo, and improves on 3.0 logo."
"Simple but strong"
"good combo of previous tries. Typeface is good, birds simple but strong"
"Simple graphic with continuity in design, text attractive and easily readable."
"Nice, light, open feel."
"Simplicity is good."
"Great font and colour scheme, simple but very effective"
""Classic""
"This is a perfect logo; it's clean and modern. It can also be good
for a Windows 8 app."
"simple, feels good, memorable"
"Sometimes, the simplest solution is the best one."
"Simple, straightforward, all in the continuity (which may refer to
the absolute compatibility of OO files overtime)."

Of course, some thought it was "bland and boring".

I think the important thing is to realize that long-standing
OpenOffice users, like you and me, have strong opinions and
perceptions on this that are not necessarily reflective of the views
of the broader user base.  We're too close and too familiar with the
old logo.  So I discount your views on this just as I discount my own.
 I look more toward the survey for an unbiased view.

Regards,

-Rob