On 14/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
If we agree on this kind of division, then "news" or "announcements"
would refer to project blog posts of a certain style.  They are the
more formal ones written with the intent of giving a specific message.

For the time being I've just committed the "minimal" version, i.e.,
http://www.openoffice.org/
now has a block with the three latest blog posts.

As for switching completely to the blog, I'm undecided. Having an article published at an openoffice.org URL instead than blogs.apache.org gives a more "official" connotation to it. Maybe we can just leave things as they are and rename "News" into "Announcements", i.e., articles with a more "official" tone that are meant to be featured on the homepage for longer periods (after all, this is how we are using "News" at the moment).

Regards,
  Andrea.