On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Sony Kovoor <sonyckov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am an open source enthusiast and was looking forward to contribute
> towards the community. It was then I heard about ASF Mentoring program[1]
> conducted in association with ICFOSS[2] in India by Luciano Resende[3] and
> attended it.

Hello Sony,

Thanks for writing.   I was the one who entered the COMDEV-76 idea for
GSoC.  We didn't have any student pick that idea yet, so it is still
open for anyone who want to work on it.

I'm not so familiar with the ICFOSS/Apache mentoring program, so I'm
cc'ing Luciano, so he can tell us what the required process is for
this on the Apache side.

How are your Java skills?  You might want to download the ODF Toolkit,
build it and try a simple documentation generation task, to get a feel
for how it works.

The code is here:  http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/

And a "cook book" of sample code is here:
http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/simple/document/cookbook/index.html

This is a good way to get some experience with open source.  In fact,
you'll get a double dose of experience, since you would be using a
library from one project (ODF Toolkit) to generate test documents for
another project (OpenOffice).  So you would likely be active on the
mailing lists for both projects.

Regards,

-Rob