On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> In the last few weeks we've seen users unable to see the big "Download"
> button in
> http://www.openoffice.org/**download/<http://www.openoffice.org/download/>due
> to broken (but still used) browsers that failed to parse the JavaScript
> correctly. And
> http://www.openoffice.org/**download/other.html<http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html>cannot
>  be used as a fallback due to the same issue.
>
> The JavaScript in other.html is used only to generate the page content,
> and the result is independent of the user's browser: as Marcus explained,
> it is there for convenience in creating the page.
>
> Would it make sense to do the following?
>
> 1) Add an "All Apache OpenOffice downloads" link in the right-hand-side
> column of
> http://www.openoffice.org/**download/<http://www.openoffice.org/download/>near
>  the top: this way, we ensure that browsers with poor JavaScript
> support still display the link.
>
> 2) Rename other.html to other_js.html
>
> 3) Modify other.html by pasting the actual download table (can be
> retrieved, for example, with Firebug from other_js.html) in its HTML.
>
> This way we add a manual step (step 3) once per release, but we can be
> sure that virtually all users can download OpenOffice in all cases (working
> JavaScript, no JavaScript, broken JavaScript).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

I'm not sure it makes sense to provide 2 versions of download/other.html
but I understand the JS concern.

It might make sense to provide a script, housed in svn,  to generate this
table  -- we had some other cases where this kind of technique was used in
the past. It's not as neat as the JS that's being used now, but something
to think about.  So we would not have a JS generated table at all.