On 25/09/2013 janI wrote:
I find it disturbing that, 4.0 was postponed due to QA issues, and we even
made a blog about it. 4.0.1 goes out despite a public rejection from QA.

The rejection was then retracted, so this isn't an issue any longer, but still it deserves some comments.

We won't make a release just because it's time to release: we will promptly delay a release if some serious bugs are found at any point in the process. OpenOffice[.org] 3.3.0 had 10 Release Candidates.

But the later we are in the process, the most serious a bug must be to be considered a release blocker. This is the only way to avoid that a release is perpetually postponed. It would be very good that the report from QA comes before the final vote, so that the biggest part of QA efforts is concentrated in the early RC stage and we still have time to study and apply fixes.

When we are at the last voting day, blocking a release because of three bugs of minor-medium impact (2 are minor display bugs in DOCX import and one isn't an OpenOffice bug but a conflict due to one distribution's packaging choice) does not sound reasonable. We should try and get more volunteers involved with QA at an early stage, and possibly prepare RC2 only when we have a full QA report for RC1 and have discussed all possible stoppers.

Regards,
  Andrea.