On 29.09.2013 21:12, Edwin Sharp wrote:
[...]
Not sure what is meant by Crash bug, but here is relevant information:
Current distribution I use: http://www.aptosid.com/

A great distribution, I use that too!

AOO was installed from arc file of the Buildbots.

Ah, that's the reason. Linux has a different development philosophy than most other platforms. On other platforms you tell the compiler to target a specific baseline (e.g. OSX 10.4 or Windows XP). On Linux the philosophy used to be "just recompile if any of the libraries changed its APIs" or "update from your system's specific package repository where one of the maintainers did that for you". Things have gotten much better since but selecting a target API is still not easily possible.

So to solve this for our releases we use the "greatest common denominator" approach on Linux: Linux nowadays tries not to break older binaries, so we're using a very old system for building the packages. A system old enough that most current systems can work with it.

These ancient systems are how we build our releases and release snapshots.

Now the Linux64 buildbot uses Ubuntu 10.4 and the Linux32 buildbot runs on Ubuntu 12.4. These systems are quite new and their new compilers are much better than what is provided by the "greatest common denominator " systems, which enables them to find and report important bugs. The drawback is that unless your system is a descendant of these newer Linux systems the builds they create are unusable for you.

I suggest to check the official release candidate snapshots if we're in the release phase. They have the maximum binary compatibility.

If you want to check the latest experimental trunk releases created by buildbots running new distributions I suggest to install that same distribution or one of its descendants.

Herbert