Hi,

On 29.09.2013 07:30, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
Hi all,

Edwin Sharp and some other users found several bugs [1] under Linux64,
in summary the conclusion seems to be that AOO currently is more or less
unusable with Linux 64.

Can some developers please have a look?

I will have a closer look at these issues in my Ubuntu 64bit 10.04 VM.
On this VM I have snapshots with different OpenOffice versions - namely
OOo 3.3.0, AOO 3.4.0 and AOO401RC2. Thus, I can check, if the defects
are newly introduced or already present in a former version.

I will also check on my Windows 7 64bit, if the defects are also
reproducible on this platform.

My intermediate report.
I had a look at about half of the initial 28 reported issues. Due to my
investigations the below given buglist now only shows 22 issues.
- 121322 - not my area of expertise - no investigations from my side
- 121694 - platform-independent and most likely not a bug
- 122278 - duplicate of 122279 which is platform-independent
- 122281 - platform-independent, broken since OOo 3.4Beta
- 122333 - still unclear and unconfirmed
- 122480 - until now not reproducible - it is still unconfirmed
- 122715 - still unconfirmed and reporter's feedback pending
- 122726 - still under investigation by others --> no investigation from
my side
- 123348 - already known and depending other software installed on the
system; also reporter answers pending
- 121290 - related to build environment - users are not affected;
workaround available
- 121312 - not my area of expertise - no investigations from my side
- 122014 - seems to be fixed in AOO 4.0.1
- 122737 - platform-independent

So this initial assessments shows that there is no Linux64 specific badness, it just proves the assumption that the platform field was set to "Linux64" not because the issues were analyzed to be Linux64 specific. They were just reported for that popular platform because it has many power users of Apache OpenOffice.

And it shows that an issue's Operating-System field is somewhat ambiguous. For the reporter the field means the operating system where the problem occurs. As was seen in the original mail of this thread it can also get interpreted differently: to evaluate the quality of AOO's support for a platform. This would only work if the field was more reliable.

To make it more reliable I suggest that the field gets adjusted when the issue gets confirmed or when the platform impact of a problem is better known. E.g. when users report the issue on different platforms or when the issue has been analyzed and the root cause is understood to be platform independent.

Herbert