On 21 Oct 2013, at 19:37, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> Imacat (admin) has responded to my question if help is wanted, answer was
> that it would be be fine if infra does it (like me) and offered to help.

That's good news, shame I didn't see that but thats ok - an offer is an offer
:-)

> If we think along these lines, my plan would be the following:
>
> 1) Thursday evening (16-22 UTC), I wil combine the single forum databases
> into the EN database. This will mean short breaks on the single forum, about
> 10min each (to copy the tables).
>  If time permits, I will convert the FULLTEXT back to MyIsam.
> 2) Friday morning (8-11 UTC) I will convert tables. This happens online, and
> only means slow system while I do it.

Would it be much quicker if you did it offline?  How about you convert them to
Inno before you merge them, so you can do the slow work by off-lining one
language at a time - and the merge done later.

> 3) Friday afternoon (15 UTC, depending on pctony), we can take the forums
> down for approx 2hours to move the databases.

I won't be around, I'll be at the hospital with my boy, and I'm not sure what
time we will be back.  So don't want to commit to it then. If we can do late
Thursday PM that would be better, say 1700 UTC onwards.

> In order to finalize the database changes Thursday and move friday, we need
> someone with access to all forums to help with the test.
>
> Could this be an acceptable plan ?  The time is needed, but if preferred I
> can do it friday or saturday evening instead (depending on pctony).

Bring it closer, otherwise for me it will have to be next week - and I am not
confident that we can last that long right now.  We probably could, but I am
not confident - so I'd rather do a controlled move on a more aggressive
timeline than have to deal with a potential hazardous failure unexpectedly.

> rgds
> jan I.

Cheers,
Tony